Queen's Royal College was opened on March 25, 1904 at Queen's Park West by Governor Sir Alfred Maloney, who described it as "magnificent" and "handsome."
Built at a cost of £15,000, the building was designed by DM Hahn, chief draughtsman in the Department of Public Works, who was himself a QRC old boy and the father of QRC boys.
Hahn, a qualified architect, also designed the Red House and the Royal Victoria Institute. The late architect John Newel Lewis commented in his 1983 book Ajoupa that "Daniel Hahn was responsible for three of the best buildings during this era." Newel Lewis described QRC as a pastiche of Renaissance and Venetian details.
"The result of this Victorian craving for the multiple use of materials and colours," he wrote, "is a delectable sandwich." The clock tower of the new building had no clock until 1913, when one was presented to the school by William Gordon.
The new building had been promised by the colonial government for 47 years.
The origin of QRC goes back to the Stuart Grammar School, at the corner of Duke and Edward Street. In 1859, when a new "collegiate school" was being contemplated, Mr. Stuart was invited by the government to be part of the enterprise.
The Queen's Collegiate School opened later that year opposite what is now Lord Harris Square, then known as Billiards Orchard. The intention was, as Governor Arthur Hamilton Gordon told the Legislative Council in 1870, "that its advantages should be open to those of every race and every religion, and that the education given should be of a decidedly superior character."
In 1870, the school became the Queen's Royal College and was housed in the supper room of the Prince's Building.
When the Government Farm moved from St Clair in 1899, part of the land was reserved as a new home for QRC through the intervention of acting Governor Sir Courtney Knollys.
The school, referred to in those days as Royal College, had 120 pupils, who did not wear a uniform, but had to wear a hat or cap bearing the college crest. They learned algebra, geometry, arithmetic, Latin, French, English, geography, history and Greek or Spanish. When the school later began to teach science, the classes were held at the Government Laboratory, and boys without bicycles were supplied with tickets for the tram. The Science Block was opened in 1939, the North Block in 1940 and the West Block in 1956.
There are now plans to construct a new wing to the west of the West Block. In 1988 the Magnificent Seven buildings at Queen's Park West, of which QRC is one, were listed by the Organisation of American States as a historic district on the Register of Monuments of the Greater Caribbean.
The Refurbished Main Block on December 5th, 2009.